This thanksgiving we decided to do campsgiving . . .
I highly recommend it – loads of fun and a great way to enjoy the season.
It was decided that I would make pies . . .
that’s right . . . the lady with no oven is in charge of pies [really?]
“The gauntlet was laid, but I was up for the challenge
I thought of my Gran . . . [ she baked the most amazing things, without recipes and using whatever was at hand ] and a vague memory of eggs and cornstarch bubbled to the surface of my memory.
Armed with that memory, [ and a healthy dose of bourbon courage ] I made pecan pies . . . lots of them . . . in Betty . . . using the stove
and there where no crumbs left at the end of the day [smile/lick/grin]
Here’s the recipe [ or you can print it out with my ink friendly recipe page ]
NO BAKE PECAN PIE
- 1 pie shell [ or smash some graham crackers with melted butter and press into dish ]
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup water
- pinch of salt
- splash of vanilla extract
THIS IS WHAT I DID
- toast the pecans in a pan [optional]
- chop half of the pecans and set all aside
- mix egg yolks + water + salt and set aside
- put pan on heat and add sugar + cornstarch
- stir till mixed then add egg yolk mixture and stir constantly
- when thickened add the chopped pecans and stir stir stir
- add butter + vanilla and when caramelized and thick remove from heat
- pour into pie shell and let set for 2 to 3 hours [ refrigerated is best ]
Let us know if you have a favorite no-bake recipe HERE